With the confirmation of the remains in the car part as being those of Richard III, there were various proposals as to where he should be buried.
- Westminster Cathedral was officially ruled out.
- Leicester Cathedral - on the grounds that it was only a short distance from where he was found.
- York Cathedral - as he was of the House of York: the Plantagenet Alliance is of this opinion.
- Middleham - where he grew up
- A Catholic place of worship.
After a legal challenge it was decided that Leicester Cathedral was the appropriate place for his reburial.
More information here .